RE: [IP] first day of pump training/ a little long SORRY!

Pam [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

>      SO does this suck or what? The pump has been in the
> house a month today
> and it looks like I get to look at the box for another month
> before I get to
> start.

My cynical response:  does this person get paid by the number of visits or
by the hour?

Pam, by now you know better than anyone else what your insulin response is.
The CDE doesn't need to figure it out for you, and if you've read Pumping
Insulin (I think you said that you have), you can figure out how to
translate your current use to the pump.  And even the thinnest people
(unless they are truly starving) have places around their middle with
sufficient skin and fat to use a 9mm cannula.

Here's a thought - about a half an hour from the end of your next session,
you can just announce to the CDE that you plan to go "live" in the morning,
and h/she has just enough time to instruct you in what you need to know.

Or another thought - instead of listening to the CDE, you start *telling*
her all about the pump, *your* starting basals, *your* carbohydrate ratio
for bolusing, etc. etc.  IOW, *you* take charge of this process and you tell
her what you need, etc.  *THEN* announce that you plan to go live in the

OK - I'll get off the soapbox now.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR