[IP] RE: Chinese food, was square waving and dual waving

At 09:10 PM 12/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>doesn't make sense to me either cause its not"for me" high in fat!

Most everything on the English menu in American Chinese restaurants is high
in fat.  Even (and often especially) the vegetarian items.  They're stir
fried.  Eggplant (my favorite) is especially bad.  Fried rice and noodles
are also very high in fat.

There was a study done recently about the high-fat nature of Chinese food
in America but I haven't been able to find it.  This link is interesting,
though, as it comes from someone who is apparently well-versed in
traditional Chinese (in China) food.

In case you don't want to follow the link, what he says is that the food
served in American Chinese restaurants is banquet food that most Chinese
people would eat at most 1 or 2 times a year.

I went to a restaurant with a Chinese friend for a celebration not too long
ago and he ordered what he considered a really special dish of steamed
chicken with scallions.  It wasn't on the menu, but the staff knew exactly
what he was talking about when he asked for it.  It was delicious and as
long as you didn't eat the skin very predictable in terms of insulin need

Personally, I haven't had a big problem with any Asian food.  But I think
that's because I live in San Francisco (more authentic food) and tend to
eat foods _a _very_little_ more typical_ to the Asian diet (steamed rice,
foods cooked with garlic/ginger/black beans rather than a
thickened-with-cornstarch sauce,  steamed vegetables with oyster sauce,
steamed oysters or fish).  When I eat more typical American Chinese food I
do run into trouble.