[IP] Re: weight gain, A1c & other pumping problems

You're not alone! My 10yo's A1C has gradually gone UP since going
on the pump a year ago today but her last A1C in Oct showed it
coming DOWN (finally!) I guess this is just the norm for some
people. It is currently 8.5% and the endo (who is a very patient
man - he's the greatest!) would like to see it around 7.8-8.0%
eventually - we're getting there! With the numbers we've been
seeing lately, I'm thinking we can easily swing that (if we can
keep this up at least 50% of the time.)

Interesting that you say your cholesterol is high. So is my
daughter's - last time it was checked it was 262, and that was
DOWN from the previous check (she got a double whammy of high
cholesterol problems on both sides of the family - ugh! Poor
kid!) Dietary changes and exercise only brought it down
minimally. She is not overweight but just right for both height
and weight for her age. She is taking colestipol for it (8mos
now) and hopefully it will show improvement the next time it is
checked. I felt the same way as you...she was just 9 when she
went on the meds and that really bothered me because she is just
a KID for crying out loud!!! But, it was necessary. It's just
like when some diabetics have to take ace inhibitors and others
do not.

Hang in there! Over time you WILL see improvement in your A1C AND
cholesterol! Sometimes it seems like you have to work twice as
hard as others to achieve the same results but it WILL happen!!!
You've set goals and that is half the battle! We set goals too
and it has really helped keep us focused (and it feels great when
you achieve them!)
Sabrina said:
I seem to be an unusual pumper who
has had Worse A1c's since starting the pump.  I haven't seen
anyone else
post that on this list.

little guy due 3/10/01

November is National Diabetes Awareness Month! Help fund a cure
(insulin is not a cure, it's life support)!
http://www.jdf.org  Juvenile Diabetes Association
http://www.diabetes.org  American Diabetes Association
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com  Children with Diabetes
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org  Insulin Pumpers