Re: [IP] another question

In a message dated 11/30/00 4:12:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> My endo recently told
> me that each additional unit is a bit more powerful.  So that if I have
> a high bg of 160, 1 unit will bring me down to 80, but if I have a 240
> bg, it may take less than 2 units to bring me down to 80.

Well I know that YMMV is the "rule of thumb" for IP, but my daughter's
experience & basic common sense would seem to indicate otherwise! The same
ratio that would bring her down from say 200 to 120 (80 pt drop at 1 unit for
40 pts= 2 units) will do nothing if she happens to be much higher. In fact,
if she's ever ( thankfully rare) over 350, she finds that she has to bolus
almost 50% more than she would have for a correction bolus at a lower blood
sugar reading....and even at that, it's not at all unusual for NOTHING to
change in the first hour after she takes the insulin (usually from a pen if
she's inexplicably high & thinks it might be a pump problem)....
   Funny thing is I was just relating this same story at a Moms support group
brunch & one of the moms was amazed because although she had observed that a
correction dose did nothing at higher bgs, her daughter's endo kept insisting
that you must use the same ration regardless of the bgs....Hmmmmm....
Regards, Renee (Melissa's pump mom)