From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of email @ redacted
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 5:41 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Running vs other forms of exercise

Andy-
    FINALLY! Another serious exercise person! I do different workouts, I
call
them crosstraining. I might ride a stationary bike for 35 minutes, then walk
on the treadmill for 20 minutes during the week. On the weekends I take
aerobic classes-step, or low impact. I also some rollerblading and running
during good outside weather days.
    I try and workout after eating, (and trust me, this is NOT bad for you,
although it is recommended to begin no sooner than 1/2 hour after eating to
avoid stomach cramps). I bolus up to 2 units less for my meal, so that my
blood sugar starts out in my workout in the high range 75 to 100  over
normal, then after a 40-60 minutes workout, my bg's are usually in the
normal
range. I do disconnect before aerobics classes and rollerblading, but not
any
other forms of exercise that I do. I always check before and after, and
bolus
if necessary.
    I was diagnosed when I was 8 years old, I was never told to limit my
exercise (I was always very physically active!) And always found that
exercise helped my diabetes control greatly!! I am now 43, and still find
that exercising everyday is a great asset to my health and well-being. I
also
have no complications. (cross my fingers).
    Keep in touch! Jan G.