From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of wombn
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 3:48 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IP]square waving and dual waving

I would have originally thought straight bolus too, but the last time I
had spaghetti, I had a big spike after the humalog ran out at the 4
hour mark.  Then I looked on the glycemic index lists and lo and
behold, spaghettir's actually a little ways down there.  Don't know
why.  Also, it's possible I have some gastroparesis (undiagnosed
as yet).

I put regular bottle Ragu sauce on it (8 gm per 1/2 cup) and a large
handful of shredded cheddar cheese (the fat in that just may have
had an effect also)

I weighed & measure the spaghetti & sauce very carefully before
cooking and calculated 92 gm carbs (yikes! I've been mostly lo
carbing this past year and that was double my average *daily*
carbs :-D).  And calculated that I needed a total of ~ 6 units.  So I
put it at 3 units now and 3 units over 5 hours.  (since my previous
spike came after the 4 hour mark).

I started at 92 mg/dl then stayed between 130-140 during the whole
wave.  About an hour after the wave finished, I went up to 160 and
bolused another unit.  Woke up at 135 this morning (a little bit
higher than usual, but I'm on day 4 for this infusion set so it could
possibly be that too).

I'm not certain how to change this plan for the next time.  I'll
probably try 4 units at the beginning and 4 units over 6 hours.
Unless my endo calls and gives me a different plan.  (I'll be faxing
my numbers to her on Friday and she frequently has changes for
me the next day).

Basically, I'm just taking a stab at it.  Pure guesswork.  I don't
seem to have a very good intuitive understanding of how to do this
stuff.