Re: [IP] Re: Tom C.'s Question

> > >  Actually, it makes alot of sense-as I wanted a pump to lean more
> > > toward the natural functions of the pancreas,
> > I have no particular pump preference, but must de-bunk the "pancreas"
> > argument. The pancreas delivers most of the body's insulin production
> > directly to the liver whereas ANY kind of sub-cutaneous insulin
> > delivery, be it shots or pump, delivers only a tiny percentage of
> > insulin to the liver (under 5%).
> Except with the new intraperitoneal infusion port systems pumping
> won't be just subq anymore.  Being percutaneous, they will only
> require outpatient conditions for implantation, and they will direct
> pumped insulin directly to the liver.  Check out the "Port Systems"
> at the site
> http://www.disetronic.com/disetronic.asp?menuId=4&languageId=2
Right, except that this is experimental and it is VERY difficult to
maintain an infection free opening through the skin to your insides. This
is also something that is being worked on mightly. A more likely solution
is the shunt + internal pump. This could work pretty well if they ever
figure out a good way to do it.