Re: [IP] Exercising on a Pump

In a message dated 11/29/2000 4:20:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I'm really interested to know what pumpers do with their pumps while
> exercising in different ways, particularly swimming and cycling. Do you
> still
> have to take extra carbs (I hate having to do that) or can you lower or
> suspend the base insulin and get decent bgs before and after. Is there any
> benefit to be had in adjusting the base insulin some time before the
> exercise
> period begins?

       I have done a little bit of cycling and this has worked very well for
me:  an hour before starting the bike ride, I reduce my basal insulin rate to
.2 and keep it there for the duration of the ride.  (During the mornings when
I have used this formula, my basals are normally set at .8 and decrease
throughout the morning to .4)  I eat a meal before riding and so I adjust my
insulin to carb ratio.  I typically have a ratio of 1 unit per 6 carbs, and
on bike riding days I use the ratio of 1 unit per 15 carbs.  This kept me
from dropping too low or raising too high during the bike ride.  One specific
ride I started at 94 mg/dl and ended up at 92 mg/dl --- 10.6 miles later!  I
was very pleased with that however so many more simple things never work out
for me!  Good luck!