Re: [IP] Re: Tom C.'s Question

> Hi Tom,
> the 1/20 basal feature of the HTron was quite intriguing to me-and
> one of the many reasons I chose the diestronic pump over the others.
>  Actually, it makes alot of sense-as I wanted a pump to lean more
> toward the natural functions of the pancreas, rather than being
> closer to MDI(which is the way I saw it when comparing, as shots

I have no particular pump preference, but must de-bunk the "pancreas"
argument. The pancreas delivers most of the body's insulin production
directly to the liver whereas ANY kind of sub-cutaneous insulin
delivery, be it shots or pump, delivers only a tiny percentage of
insulin to the liver (under 5%). The rest is used up by the body
before it ever reaches the liver. The various insulin formulations
are designed specifically to diffuse through the fatty tissues of the
skin in a "timed" release manner. The shortest time release is
Humalog/Novolog (peak of an hour or so), followed by Regular,
NPH, Lente, etc..... Delivery of small quantities of short term
absorption insulin in increments of less than 1/2 of the initial peak
time goes almost entirely unnoticed by the body because of the
integration effect of the time it takes the insulin to diffuse
through the tissue. As an aside, if the insulin were to be delivered
intravenously, then Humalog, Regular, NPH would all act in about 15

The only similarity of pumps to the pancreas delivery model is that a
pump in the hands of a competent user delivers insulin in roughly the
same amount as the body requires in a pattern that mimics average
insulin requirements. A pump can not respond to bodily insulin needs
as fast as the pancreas because of the long time delay introduced by
today's insulin diffusing throught sub-cu tissue. this is precisely
the issue being addressed by researchers working on closed loop
bg-sensor / pump delivery systems.