[IP] Switching Insulin

Hi All,

I just switched to Humalin R from Humalog. I realize that humalog
is the preferred insulin but because I'm so insulin resistant and
using close to 130-150 units a day. It's a pain to keep insulin in the
pump. The other and main reason for switching is that I'm having
skin reaction at the site from so much insulin in one place.

The solution that we are trying is Humalin R because it comes in
U500, so it's 5 times the insulin in one unit. My basal rates are
now in the 0.5 to 0.7 range.

For those that use Humalin R are there some tips that you can
share? Do you bolus a little earlier before you eat? When do you
check after meal blood sugars? Etc..

I know with Humalog it one hour later you have 66% percent of the
insulin to go and 2 hours later it's 33%. Does any one know the
ratio for Humalin R? My insulin pumping book is at work and I've
been home for the last two weeks after my surgery.

Thanks Gail
Gail J Donohue