[IP] Filling from the pen, and Disetronic cartridge volume...

2 for one this time ;-)

"Sharon Amann" <email @ redacted> asked:
> My question is: Can I use my insulin pens which I have now to fill the
> reservoir of the Animas pump? Or must I use the vials of insulin
> and regular syringes?

I don't know specifically about the Animas carts, as I currently use a
Disetronic HTron, but I can say that I HAVE filled those cartridges from a
pen.  It's not elegant, but it works:  pull the plunger out from the
cartridge, and set it down somewhere STERILE (like the inside of the
just-opened cartridge wrapper);  put the cap on the other end of the
cartridge;  SLOWLY squirt insulin from the pen into the cartridge (if you
try to do this quickly you'll get a LOT of air in there!);  replace plunger,
remove cap, carefully tap out any bubbles that formed.

I would imagine a similar procedure would work with the Animas cartridges,
but I haven't seen them.  YMMV, I don't take any responsibility if you try
this, blah blah blah.

Then David <email @ redacted> asked:
> I use the glass cartridges from Disetronic, and find that I can't
> get three fills out of a bottle on Humalog.  Does anyone else have this
> problem?

Yes.  I suspect the actual volume of the D cart is more like 350 units, the
315 figure is "useable" volume.  Notice how at the top of the cartridge
there's some dead space where the plunger can't reach, I think that's where
the "lost" insulin goes.

--Greg                      http://www.pobox.com/~gregleg/
"Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem."