[IP] "Tweens" Play-dates and swimming

We just got back from our first family vacation since Gus(8) has been on the
pump (3 mos.)   We went to Antigua for a week...lots of swimming, snorkling,
tennis...and shuffleboard! We spend virtually the entire day on the beach.
I had packed 1 1/2 times the pump supplies I thought we'd need...we BARELY
made it home with what I'd originally packed...had the house-sitter Fed-Ex
extras.  Next time I'll pack 2x what I think he'll need.

Gus uses the MM508.  He unplugged (didn't suspend)  for all the
swimming...was in the water sometimes for up to 90 minutes.  His daytime
basal rate is .2/hour so we'd bolus .1 before swimming and .1 when he
reconnected. I found that I'd have to prime the pump .3 to .5 united before
I'd see a bead of insulin and feel secure about reconnecting with no chance
of a bubble.  Once the set fell out in the water...I caught a glimpse of the
tubing dangling from the surface as I snorkled past....  Twice he plunged
into the ocean having forgotten that he was hooked up.  (Rinsed in fresh
water and air dried-no problems)  The taping didn't seem as secure as
usual...I attribute this to constant exposure to water....  For the whole
week his numbers were unpredictable, but he was eating differently then he
does at home and constantly on the move.

I feel like we got over the water-vacation hurdle, but that it took more
reactive management than I had hoped.

As for play-dates and sleep-overs, I've found that Gus (who loves math) had
become expert at calculating his food and high BG boluses. (This doesn't
mean that the school nurse, his parents, or the other adults he's with don't
check the math, but he can do it all on his own, and often corrects my
verbal instructions when I misspeak (dual wave at breakfast....)   He also
seems to have an intuitive sense about what he needs with respect to a snack
or bolus...and is almost always right on.