Re: [IP] fructosamine vs HB A1C

In a message dated 11/26/00 9:33:26 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I am also wondering about this, as one Doctor told me that the HBA1C really
>  only gives you a reading from a few weeks, the lab also told me this. They
>  said that most literature tells you 3 months, but that it is not that long.

Here's what I learned from "Insulin-Dependent Diabetes in Children,
Adoloescents, and Adults:  How to Become an Expert on You Own Diabetes" by
Ragnar Hanas, M.D.  (pg 88)
"Your recent blood readings affect HbA1c much more than those from 2-3 months
ago.  However, your readings during the last week will not show on most
methods since this fraction of the HbA1c is very changeable.  Of a given
HbA1c-value, the contribution of blood glucose is (counting backwards):
Day 1-6         very low
Day 7-30        50%
Day 31-60      25%
Day 61-90      15%