[IP] Re: Friend in DKA and they pulled the pump

Hi Carolyn,
Best of luck to your friend...
You have every right to be angry!  Similar situation last year- I went to the
ER with a bad kidney infection, they dx'd me, gave me my scrips, then called
my insurance co. for me. My insurance co had me transferred to another hosp.
for observation(I went to the er I went to because they are covered and i've
been there before(in the hosp 2 months) so they have my records.anyways, they
transferred me to another hosp. where I spent the next 9hrs in observation
having the same and more tests done. They were testing for stones(and I so
clearly had an infection. They also said that I was on an insulin drip and
would be kept until sugars improved and would be given a supplemental shot
for meals, as well as enough painkillers to keep me comfortable(From the
makebelieve stones) I argued left and right. (I was not on the pump then)
Needless to say my sugars got higher and higher- I rec'd multiple lectures
from the dietician and the endo on call about discipline and asking if I had
been trying to kill myself(as my sug
ars were so high).  So I started sneaking my insulin, immediately brought my
sugars down, and found out that they had not been giving me an insulin drip
but a glucose one(highly diluted but still not a good thing)(not to mention
me telling them that I normally take 6u for an average meal and they would
only give 1u.
Once I put the pieces together I was so angry I took the bus home(instead of
waiting two hours for my husband in that hell hole)-and on the way I filled
my scrip(from the original er)for antibiotics and within 2 days of being
released I fealt normal again (though terrified of going near the ER again)
Anyways, everyone says doctors are humans they make mistakes, well it does
happen, but mistakes don't occur even 1/2 as much when a little common sense
is used along with a prescription pad.
Ugh. Carolyn I am as annoyed as you are.
Has anyone else had a rediculous experience like this?