[IP] Bleak Images, Brighter Outlook (Long)

On the Spirit Pumpers List, a question was posed a few days ago about what
each of us were thankful for in our lives.  As I sat last night catching up
on the past week's IPmail & read the comments on Amy's "Reasons to be
glad..." posting (which I thoroughly enjoyed!!), I thought about how that in
some way connected with our "Thankful" thread.  Since another SPer expressed
hope that I would post my reply on this list, & several of the IP postings
suggest that a pick-me-up might be in order for some, I'm taking his
suggestion & sharing with you as well.  You were warned that it is long
(seems to be the only way I know how to write anymore, hence the scarcity of
my own postings recently)...but at least the first "If..." line does tie it
in as properly appropriate IP list subject matter!

Have a great Monday!

> What are each of you thankful for?

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness...you are more
blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of
imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation .. you are
ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest,
torture, or death...you are more blessed than three billion people in the

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead
and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish
someplace...you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married, you are very rare, even
in the United States.

If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly
thankful...you are blessed because the majority can, but most do not.

If you can hold someone's hand, hug them or even touch them on the
shoulder...you are blessed because you can offer healing touch.

If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that
someone was thinking of you, and furthermore, you are more blessed than over
two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

Have a good day, count your blessings, and pass this along to remind
everyone else how blessed we all are.

Blessed Be

A friend sent me this a few days ago - & it tied in very closely with the
train of thought I've been following of late.  At one of my elementary
schools, we have what seems to be an inordinate amount of children in really
heartbreaking home situations...trying to help create a place of safety &
normalcy for them at school really brings home to me how very grateful I am
for having been brought up in a family of love.  At my in-laws yesterday, we
had a long talk about what a "normal" family or upbringing involves, &
finally agreed that it is not at all the "Leave It to Beaver" perfect home
with mom wearing pearls & cooking dinner, & Dad imparting just the right
words of wisdom as a crisis is neatly resolved & lessons are of course
learned...that a "normal" upbringing involves mistakes, misunderstandings,
bad days, moods we can't all understand & plans that just never go right,
less than ideal choices made by parents, children, siblings, neighbors,
pets, & friends, & a hundred other pieces of confusion to trip over on a
daily basis, & that that's all part of the process.  That's the kind of
"normal" upbringing I had...& I thank my gods each & every day for it,
knowing how very precious it has been & that so many people have far less.
Yesterday morning I sat down & wrote my mom a letter about how grateful I am
for her...got emotional & cried through the whole thing.  It felt so good
that I sat down & wrote also to a favorite uncle who now lives in another
part of the country, & whom I haven't seen in years...told him how much he
means to me, & spoke of times that his love & support made a world of
difference in my life.  Wrote a third such letter to one of my former high
school students who was "always there" for me, whose smile & quiet
encouragement were a real lifeline in times of chaos & stress.

This is not an order (I haven't been made Queen of the World...yet! <g>),
nor is it one of those "do this or your nose will fall off" dire consequence
e-mail type of things...simply a suggestion.  Give yourself a moment or two
in the hectic everydayness of your life, sit down in a quiet space, & let
yourself roam through your memory to a time when someone's love & support
have really made a lot of difference in your life...then write it down &
send it to them - let someone know that they matter.  I carried the
realization of other people's gifts to me with me all day yesterday...& I
don't think the smile ever left my face.  Having an "attitude of gratitude"
can do wonderful things for you...try it & see!

Brightest Blessings!