[IP] RE: Carb Counting Books and Restaurants

>accurately gauge by eyeballing a plate, don't be bashful about asking
>for an extra water glass and use that to measure -- most resturants
>use 8 or 12 oz glasses. Potatoes can be done the same way if they are
>boiled or mashed. The various sauces you have to guess, but the guess
>will be fairly consistent and repeatable even at different
>resturants. Likewise things like resturant cake, pie, etc... is
>pretty consistent at 50 - 65 grams per serving. They don't plan it
>that way, it just sort of happens :-)

Restaurants have always been challenging.  With the heavy use of fats and
sauces and the odd portion sizes I frequently go high several hours after
eating.  Reading Michael's post, it dawned on me that there is no reason I
cannot ask to be given the weight, or portion size, when my meal is
delivered.  I wouldn't think it would be very much trouble for the chef to
provide that kind of info. As far as fast food restaurants go, I think many
of them provide nutrition information on their web pages.  I know McDonalds
does, in PDF format.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998