Re: [IP] Overnight Basal Profiling - How?

>> OK, Beennon the pump (w H) for two days.  I'm trying to do the 24
>> hour profiles but am too tired to thikn stright.  How do you asty up
>> for three nights in a row?
>
>Don't do it that way. Pick a period to do such as evenings or nights.
>Run a profile, skip a night and do it again until you have baseline
>results that are reasonably repeatable. When doing the repeats,
>use alternate hours from the previous run so that you have a more
>complete data set to work with. Make the adjustments for that period
>then go on to the next. Make sure and check that the changes did what
>you expected. Don't try to go more than 8 - 10 hours at a time
>since you will start to test starvation bg's rather than fasting
>bg's. Also, see the basal adjustment simulation tool in the HOWTO
>section of the web site. This may be of some help in doing the fine
>tuning.

OK, Thanks Micheal.  This makes sense as well.  I've read pumping insuoin
abeenm basal adjustments on MDio for 7 years but lately everyine is telling
me to do different things.  I have to pick one - so i'll go baclk to my
orignal plan (same as above and in Pumping Insulin).

I'm going to do a high bouls correction and go tom bed and sleep for a day
then go back at this as normal.

thanks for putting me on track.  I really apprecite iot.  Can hardly wait
to sleep.

>> Some have told me I don't have ot do it all in three consec days but
>no, don't do this. Make small adjustments to the basals until you can
>do a complete profile without going over 200 or under 50. Actually
>getting low is not too bad if you know exactly how far a dex tab will
>raise your bg's. If you do, then the data set will still be OK. With
>high bg's this does not work because over 180 - 200, your kidneys
>will start removing excess glucose quite effectively and the data
>will not be accurate.
>
>Read the HOWTO stuff on the web site as well as the pertinent
>sections in Pumping Insulin. Don't be in a hurry -- it can take a
>long time to get basals just right. Not too long to get them close.

I've ben in a bit of hurry.  Presure to get going from one well-meaning doc
(not an endo or GP).

Thanks

Darrin Parker

Latest Pumping data:
First insertion.... 4.5 hours
Suggested time....10 minutes
Felt like......A lifetime
Result......Welcome to PUMPING  101...an introduction to a new lifestyle!!!
Expectations....I'll be a pro in no time, although it will feel like years <g>.