Re: [IP] Overnight Basal Profiling - How?

> OK, Beennon the pump (w H) for two days.  I'm trying to do the 24
> hour profiles but am too tired to thikn stright.  How do you asty up
> for three nights in a row?

Don't do it that way. Pick a period to do such as evenings or nights.
Run a profile, skip a night and do it again until you have baseline
results that are reasonably repeatable. When doing the repeats,
use alternate hours from the previous run so that you have a more
complete data set to work with. Make the adjustments for that period
then go on to the next. Make sure and check that the changes did what
you expected. Don't try to go more than 8 - 10 hours at a time
since you will start to test starvation bg's rather than fasting
bg's. Also, see the basal adjustment simulation tool in the HOWTO
section of the web site. This may be of some help in doing the fine

> Some have told me I don't have ot do it all in three consec days but
no, don't do this. Make small adjustments to the basals until you can
do a complete profile without going over 200 or under 50. Actually
getting low is not too bad if you know exactly how far a dex tab will
raise your bg's. If you do, then the data set will still be OK. With
high bg's this does not work because over 180 - 200, your kidneys
will start removing excess glucose quite effectively and the data
will not be accurate.

Read the HOWTO stuff on the web site as well as the pertinent
sections in Pumping Insulin. Don't be in a hurry -- it can take a
long time to get basals just right. Not too long to get them close.