Re: [IP] ??? For Parents of Pumping "Tweens" (Ages 8-12) [long]

> One of my main questions has to do with managing pumping when
> parents aren't around .  .  . i.e. at school, visiting a friend's
> house, etc. . . . Do you kids do their own carb counting and bolus
> calculations in these situations?  How do you handle this whole
> thing???.

Depends on the age of the kid and the difficulty involved in
calculations. 10 is a bit young to handle the calculations because
the math needed involves manipulating fractions, however much younger
kids do bolus for items they eat that are easily calculated by
exchanges or 1/2 of something, etc.... If you give them a list they
can handle anything on the list. For instance, lunch from home where
each item is listed on the bag or a note, most candy bars, an apple,
etc... the carb content of these things is pretty constant so a good
guess can be made. In the 6th and 7th grade, the math skills
necessary to actually begin doing the calculations themselves are
taught. The kids won't generally be confident enough to do it without
someone checking their math, but they will begin. A combination of
detailed carb counting and the exchange method will get them by until
> In the 2 weeks since dx (while on MDI and not pumping, of course),
> we've managed to have a sleepover here and some afternoon playdates
> (between lunch and dinner) at homes where the I know the parents and
> were able to give them some basic training on dealing with lows etc.
>  But, given how social Katie is (friends are SO important at this
> stage of her development), I know that these limitations are going
> to be a source of contention in the not too distant future -- so I
> really want to know how other parents (especially those of pumpers)
> deal with this issue . . .

My daughter began pumping at age 11. Judge for yourself the effect of
her pump on her life by reading

> My other question has to do with swimming -- both in a pool and the
> ocean -- We currently live in Colorado, but have been planning a
> move for this summer to Hawaii.  Katie loves the beach and swimming
> and surfing . . . We spend long days there and I know she wouldn't
> want to be "off pump" for long periods of time on a regular basis
> (we're likely to be at the beach 2-3 days a week) . . . I had sorta
> envisioned her going off pump when she actually goes into the water
> and going back on the pump when she's on the sand (with the pump in
> a waterproof case, just in case of a rogue wave or whatever).
> How easy is it to go on and off pump, especially at a sandy beach
> location, and how have things worked for your child at the
> beach/pool????

Piece of cake! .... Lily spent almost 3 weeks in Hawaii this summer
and it works just as you think it would above sans the waterproof
case -- the case is a pain in the a.....  Just keep the pump in a dry
place out of the sun -- don't leave the bag lying in the sun either
as the heat will zap the insulin.