Re: [IP] Insulin with hysterectomy

Hi Jan H.

I just had surgery last week where they removed my gall bladder
and appendix, along with some exploratory of the lower section of
my stomach. After talking with the nurse educator from minimed
and he also pumps and been in surgery it was decided that what
would work for me was to start a temporary basal that was half of
the basal that I usually took for that time period. We started it two
hours before I was scheduled to go under. At the same time a 5%
dextrose was in the IV. I set the temporary basal to run for the 10
hours that they hung the dextrose. I went back to my regular basal
after that.

I must say that it worked beautifully from me. It raise my blood
sugar to 140 and kept it steady for the 10 hours. The doctors
preferred it to run a little high so there was no concern for a low.
Afterwards that blood sugars went right back down to the 80-90's
that it was prior to surgery. I was able to eat clear liquids that night
and a real breakfast the next day and go home.

I wish you luck with your surgery and hope things go well.
Gail