Re: [IP] D in the family- Help!

     These are NOT the answer either! Scare tactics don't work even if we do
have one or more complications already. How about one of the new tests for
HbA1cs that you can purchase over the counter. The ADA Forecast has one
called "In Charge" that is "the only home-testing system with combines
once-a-week GlucoProtein and daily glucose testing that can help you improve
your overall diabetes control. It is a once-a-week test for overall control
that indicates the average of your continuous glucose changes over the prior
2-3 weeks (similar to HbA1c)." They say it is competitively priced to
glucose-only systems. (So it IS an actual meter).

     I don't know if there is also another HbA1c home testing vehicle out
there, but I thought I've seen one in my local RiteAid Drug Store where you
send in the blood test sample and receive the results by mail.

     As an aside: I hate to hear people bickering over hurt feelings because
someone has said something that has offended someone else. No matter how
hard you try, there may be someone who will take the matter as something
ironically funny, while someone else may be deeply hurt. Please, this site
is for us to be able to open up to people who really DO understand what
we're going through.

      I, myself, have been a Type I diabetic for almost 29 yrs. Just today,
while testing my blood sugar in a public place before lunch, a woman got up
and asked me if I was diabetic. I answered, "Yes" and she commented that her
mother was diabetic too and that she had to test her sugars too, but that
she was feeling queasy seeing me test now. She excused herself and got up
and left. I was not sure how to feel about this since it had never happened
to me before. I guess my point is that it takes a lot to understand what we
go through on a daily basis. Let's not "cut down" our friends who DO
understand us!

Thanks for listening!

--Sharon M. Amann