Re: [IP] ??? For Parents of Pumping "Tweens" (Ages 8-12) [long]

I was 4 and 1/2 when diagnosed and i know that when i started to do my own
injections at approx age 7-8, it made the whole world open to us.  I could
sleep over friends houses (not only the ones across the street or the ones
with nurses in the house) it also gave me the feeling of control of this
disease.  I feel that 10 is plenty old enough to be handling her own
injections and I wish I had the option of a pump back in the late 60's.  That
would have been a whole other world.

I say to let her start doing her own injections and begin taking charge of
her diabetes - not rely on anyone else all the time - from experience - it
helps with your mindset and control.

Good Luck and let your daughter that there are some of us out here that are
still young (in my mind i am at 36) and who have lived with this for 32+
years.  She should know how lucky she is with all the advances there have
been in the recent years.  I am sure there are others who remember the glass
syringes that had to be soaked in alcohol before injections and also left
huge bruises.