[IP] Disconnecting with painful hands

> I have been pumping for two weeks. I have arthritis in my hands, and I have
> trouble disconnecting the Quick Release with my fingers.
> Has anyone found a solution to that problem.
> Marge.

Congratulations on beginning a new life! I have been pumping for over 17 years
and started with straight, steel needles that came directly out of the tubing.
We had to bend them to insert them at the proper angle. Then they decided to
charge more and bend them for us. I didn't buy those since I could do it
myself. I didn't like that steel needle in me and it often hurt. I wore a
metal eye protector over my site to keep from jamming it. When I switched to
MiniMed I was told there was an infusion set that just left a tiny Teflon
cannula inside, the needle was removed. Fine. I like it.

For all those years I never had the capabilities of disconnecting the infusion
set from the pump. Then they came up with the idea of having them disconnect
(extra charge, of course). I guess I still don't see the need to put out the
extra expense to do something I haven't done before. You don't HAVE to
disconnect. There are other ways of getting around why you need to. I put my
pump in a water-proof bag, a ZipLock bag around that, a keyring in the zipper
pull and hang a belt over the shower rod with pump hanging from there. The 42"
tubing and sometimes an additional belt gives me plenty of room to move
around. I hope you can come up with something; I know hand pain (or any)
hurts! Let us know how you figure it out. (~_^)