[IP] RE: Basal/Dawn Phenom question

>From: "Laura L. Shapiro" <email @ redacted>
>Hi all:  I'm going to throw this question out to see if I can get some
>ideas. My Basal is currently set at 1.0 from 12 am to 7 am.  However, every
>night between 12 and 2 my BG goes up to about 220.  Even if it is good
>at 11 PM it still goes up.

Since you are using Regular insulin in your pump, you need to allow for the
longer onset and duration of this insulin.  The high 220 bG between 12:00
and 2:00 AM is a reflection of your basal rate at about 10:00 PM.  Assuming
the bolus for the evening meal was adequate, you might try to increase the
basal from 10:00 PM.

>Then, in the early morning hours between 5
>and 7 it drops about 20 to 50 points (never too low.)
>I am pumping Regular, in case you didn't read my earlier post.
>Any idea what might need to be done?

If it were me, and since bG is slowly dropping at his time, I would not make
any changes until after the earlier 12:00-2:00 AM period is corrected.
Especially with adjacent time periods, I like to adjust one period at a
time.  An adjustment in one time period can make a difference in a
subsequent period.  It is often necessary to adjust the duration, in
addition to, or in stead of, the amount of a basl rate.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998