Re: [IP] How soon pumping after diagnosis

> >One doctor, who finally said yes, told me that the only problem you have to
> >watch when starting pumping during honeymoon period is, that because of the
> >usually small amount of insulin which is needed, a pump occlusion
> But if you are willing to monitor it, then low dosages are not a good
> argument against pump therapy.  The occlusion alarm is useless for my
> son who has a 0.1 basal rate.  However, if we were concerned about
> this, we could always dilute the insulin, so I don't consider this a
> good argument against using a pump during honeymooning.

I don4t think that low dosages of insulin is a good argument against using the
pump during honeymoon either. I used very little insulin for the first few
months and had absolutely no problems.
My doctor just wanted to make sure that I was aware of the danger, even if I
felt safe. She was a bit concerned first, because she knew a few people who
would become reckless about testing when they see only good numbers most of the
time (which she expected because of honeymoon + pump). So her concern was that I
wouldn4t test frequently enough because of very good numbers (which I actually
had as soon as I started pumping) and not the little amount of insulin.