Re: [IP] Painful insertions vs. injections

> In a message dated 11/21/00 6:07:01 AM Mountain Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> > And the insertions are much more painful than the
> >  injections.
> Is this true in other folks experience, that the insertions are more
> painful than injections?  I hadn't hear this before and wonder if it
> is a common experience . . . or could it be that this is more common
> for little guys (a four year old, in this case) because they don't
> have much "meat on their bones" ???

Hi Lyndy,

Yes it can be a bigger problem for little guys. The instructions that
come with the various sets are intended for adults with a little
more padding than a kid. The MM SofSet and Micro goes straight in and
if the tissue underneath is not thick enough, the set reaches down
into muscle -- this can be painful. Likewise, the
Silohette/Tender/Comfort sets come with instructions that say to
insert at a 45 degree angle. This is way to steep for "little" and
thin people -- better is 15 - 30 degrees. The latter infusion set
seems to be the one of choice for kids and light weight or thin
adults. It appears very intimidating because of the long insertion
needle, but is really quite comfortable. Many on the list can give
you quite convincing testimonials even though they are truly