Re: [IP] How soon pumping after diagnosis

> I couldn't agree more with the philosophy of giving people the
> option of pumping right at the time of diagnosis.  From the
> beginning, my daughter and I wanted her to pump.  Why?  Because it
> is the state of the art in diabetes management.  Also a better life
> style.  It is the direction that diabetes management is going, and
> we want to be ahead of the curve!  We had to wait 2 years after
> diagnosis before we could get the pump.  By then, we were tired from
> learning and mastering the MDI system.  Then we had to retool for
> the pump.  Why not capture that energy and motivation created by the
> shock of diagnosis and direct it towards the more progressive
> system?

Hmmm.... I think it is important that MDI be learned and mastered
before pump therapy. It is the primary backup method in the event
that your pump fails for any reason. Even if the failure is simply
that you run out of insulin, it is necessary that you be able to give
an injection to get you by until the problem is solved. Clearly this
only takes a few months at most to master, but it is a necessary part
of being a "safe" pumper and I would advocate good MDI training for
any child or adult contemplating immediate pump therapy after
diagnosis. It is not enough to simply know how to give a shot to
yourself (or child), but you have to be comfortable with it and
willing to do it when and as necessary.