Re: [IP] Getting the flu virus

In a message dated 11/21/00 6:24:54 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< How does the flu affect Type 1's blood sugars? >>

I got the flu last year, even after a flu shot (no, I did not get any proof
it was actually the flu, but it was mainly respiratory, high fever, lasted
over a week, and my doctors also assumed it was the flu, as did my husband's
(from whom I got it) doctor).  Once I had come to grips with what was going
on, I had very good blood sugars -- on double my usual basal, hardly eating

However, this year's flu shot, which I got yesterday, seems to be doing a
real number on my numbers -- I have only raised my basals slightly, figuring
it is not going to last (!??), but have done supplemental boluses every few
hours for the last 24, including during the night.  I don't remember ever
having this severe a reaction to the shot in terms of blood sugars (the arm
is still real sore, too).

Linda Z