Re: [IP] How soon pumping after diagnosis

> I'm wondering how soon people can/should starting thinking about pumping
> after they've been diagnosed?  The only thing I've read said that it's best
> to waiting until after the honeymoon period, but didn't say why.  I'd love
> hear some of you pumpers experiences/opinions . . .

I have been diagnosed in May 98 and started pumping only 2 months later.

I wanted the pump immediately but I couldn4t find a doctor who would have
started me on the pump. The doctors I saw were not pro pump, I guess.

One doctor, who finally said yes, told me that the only problem you have to
watch when starting pumping during honeymoon period is, that because of the
usually small amount of insulin which is needed, a pump occlusion alarm will be
much later, which increases the risk of DKA. My Disetronic would have an alarm
after 4 units (I think) of not delivered insulin. So if I need to bolus only 1
unit for a meal, I wouldn4t get an alarm. But if I need 8 units for a meal, I
would definately get the alarm. So, someone who wants to start pumping during
honeymoon period needs to know that bg4s have to be monitored closely, even if
bg4s are usually good. I think this sounds right.

So, when I started pumping, I used a basal of 4.9 units daily and about 10 units
as boluses on a day. I have never had any problem with occlusions. But I did
monitor my bg4s closely.

In my oppinion it was much easier to learn all this stuff with basals and
boluses with my own little insulin production helping me out if I made some