Re: [IP] How soon pumping after diagnosis

When Trent was diagnosed 6/19/00, I joined this list immediately and
asked the same question.  Someone from this list mentioned that they
had seen a study that the pump can actually prolong the honeymoon
period.  I our first meeting I mentioned this to the endocrinologist,
and she was immediately receptive to the idea.  Her main concern was
that someone would be able to do all the work for him, since he is
only 4.  I insisted that I would do it, and we started the
application process.

However, it still took over 2 months to get the pump due mainly to
errors on the part of Disetronic in following through (they lost the
paperwork once, people went on vacation, etc.)

The endo was right about the work.  It does take a lot of effort to
use the pump, and I suspect that applying the same amount of effort
to MDI could produce comparable results.  We have frequent problems
with sites and tubing which sends his numbers higher than they ever
went under MDI.  And the insertions are much more painful than the
injections.  But when the pump works right it works great, and I
would not consider going back to MDI.

There is definitely no reason to wait until after the honeymoon
period.  Ideally, I think they should give you a pump at the hospital
at the time of diagnosis if you are willing to do the work.

Tim, father of Trent, 4yo diagnosed 6/19/00 pumping 8/31/00