[IP] Type Treatment

All the endos I have been around only look at which
type you are and base their decisions on that.  Here's
two examples:

When I was told I had diabetes, I had to wait a week
before I was told which type I was.  (My c-peptide
level was exactly borderline for the two types.)  I
was told I was type 1 because I "fit the description."

I have no doubt in my mind that I am Type 1, BUT I AM
insulin resistant.  It shows.  (Well, it would if my
endo would look at my readings like my CDE does.)  It
would make sense (at least to me) to at least LOOK at
some possible ways to treat my insulin resistance,
instead of watching my sugars fluctuating and then
having others blaming ME for readings outside the
normal range.

So, last year around August, my CDE and I were talking
about my insulin resistance problem and she wanted me
to discuss taking an insulin sensitizer (preferrablly
Actos) with my endo.  When I asked him about it, he
wouldn't even DISCUSS it with me because of my type.
In fact, he didn't even ask me WHY I was interested in
taking it.  His answer was, "Those are more trouble
than they are worth."  He wouldn't say WHY they are
that much trouble, either......  (Just out of
curiosity, why is that, anyway?)  He told me to just
leave things the way they are.  If I was HAPPY about
things "the way they are" I wouldn't have asked him
about changing it, right???

Another example: Earlier this year my CDE and I
approached my endo about having a c-peptide done.  The
first time, we approached my endo, he ignored us.  The
second time I saw him, he said, "Well, I will have to
talk to her about that."   He never called her.  Why?
Because I am Type 1.  Type 1's don't need to have that
test done because our pancreases don't produce squat.

What I am trying to say here is that doctors tend to
only look at which type you are.  Maybe having done a
c-peptide wouldn't have helped me any, but who knows
since it wasn't done in the first place.  As for the
insulin sensitizer deal, maybe taking YET ANOTHER drug
might not help me, but I don't think it would have
hurt either of us to sit down and discuss it.  (I mean
longer than what we talked about.)

Who knows?  I will probably end up on either Actos or
Glucophage to help treat some other illness that I
have but just haven't been diagnosed with it yet.
Believe me, I DEFINETLY have more things wrong with
me; I KNOW that I have something else that hasn't been
diagnosed causing my readings to act the way they are.
 Maybe it is another endocrine problem, such as
PCOS.....  Who knows?  Who cares?  At least doing some
tests can RULE OUT something so that it doesn't just
hang there in the background!!!

Pump hugs,

Melissa Collins

Do You Yahoo!?