Re: [IP] Type 1 with insulin-sensitizers

Hirsch Meisels wrote:
> Today there are 3 insulin-sensitizers on the market, Avandia, Actos, &
> Glucophage.  On Avandia & Actos people can gain weight according to the
> company, the only one that helps lose  weight is Glucophage.
> Also who says that the others aren't doing the same to the liver?

Well, for one thing, Glucophage is not really an insulin-sensitizer, as
it does exactly what you say, which is restrain hepatic glucose output.
The others work on the muscles to increase glucose uptake.

This shouldn't affect liver response in case of a hypo. (But do me a
favor and research it and discuss with your doc!)
> I think that a father & 2 of his siblings, & 3 of his uncles with type 2
> diabetes, (the rest of them are just overweight) is a strong family history.

Yes, I'd agree.
> I don't think you are right with this one!  I do you have wide swings of
> BGs, I am not very sensitive to "small variations in insulin", but I am
> sensitive to the "big variations of insulin" that I am using.
> I am currently taking about 55 units on a normal day.  On Shabbos it could
> creep up to 80-90 units with the bigger meals.

One possibility is to try low-carbing (VERY hard on a traditional Jewish
diet!!!!  :)  ). According to Bernstein, small doses = small mistakes.

I know a number of Type 2's (on another list) who have had a lot of
success with Bernstein's ideas. They've been able to reduce medication
significantly. But they've also really concentrated on the exercise
aspect, too.
> >>but it would still need to be determined whether insulin
> >>resistance were due to immune-system factors, or to Type 2 genetic
> >>heritage.
> This is something new to me, can you explain me the difference?

Some people who have been on insulin for a long time, particularly
animal insulins, develop antibodies to the insulin that result in the
insulin being inactivated as soon as it's injected. It's not a case of
resistance on the cellular level, as in Type 2, but an immunological
response. Some of these people have had to take thousands of units a day
until their body finally lets up on the antibody response (i.e. it's not
usually permanent).
> >>But anyway, even if one chose not to use Glucophage, there is also
> >>Rosiglitazone, and other insulin sensitizers coming down the pipeline.
> What's the name of that med?

I don't really know the names of the meds, but I know there is a LOT of
research going on in the field of insulin sensitizers.
> >>But on the other hand, why obsess about weight gain??? You can increase
> >>insulin sensitivity the old-fashioned way, by eating a LOT less and
> >>exercising a LOT more!
> Thank you so much! Why didn't I think of that?  Easier said than done!

Doncha think I KNOW that???  :) But nevertheless, caloric restriction
and exercise have been demonstrated to improve insulin sensitivity, and
Type 2's are still and always being told to eat less/move more as a
first line treatment of their diabetes.

So if your strong history of Type 2 in the family is a concern to you,
then you need to take stock of what you're willing to do about it. Your
body, your science experiment.

(I'm really on your side, ya know -- also grateful that I don't have
THAT kind of Type 2!)

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted