Re: [IP] Re: IP] Employment 2

On 20 Nov 2000, at 13:37, email @ redacted wrote:

> I never volunteer anything that can be perceived as a negative, in a job
> interview.
> These days, one usually has to have a physical and drug test and that is when
> I give that info.

I'm running my own business now, so this isn't an issue at the
moment, and perhaps my strong opinion on this isn't appropriate in
this forum, but _unless I apply for a job where a physical and drug
test is CRITICAL_ (a job where people's lives depend on you or
you're in a position where trust is critical), I will never EVER
comply with that kind of requirement.

I haven't had to apply for a job since the diabetes diagnosis, but if I
ever do have to in the future, this is probably how I'll approach it:

* if I feel a bit desperate, I won't say a thing until after the job
interview -- unless there's a risk to me or others because of it--but
I'm an office worker, not a high rise builder! :-D.

* if I feel confident and not in a rush (in other words "money's ok for
now"), I'll say something upfront, because then I'm in a position
where I'm also interviewing THEM and they have to react well to the
info in *my* opinion.  Whether it's illegal to discriminate or not,
people do it anyway, whether they know it or not.  I'd prefer to be
around people who don't allow ignorance to rule their actions.