Re: [IP] Places of employment - Long

I work as a technical writer in the SF/Oakland Bay Area.  My co-workers
have mostly been not particularly interested in the details of pumping, but
happy to learn about how to help when I'm low (and I'm not an easy person
to help at that point!).

My most significant diabetes experience in the workplace was when I
unwittingly hired another Type 1 to work with me at my first job (a startup
that didn't start up). She and I had a lot of other things in common and
eventually I found out that she had Type 1 diabetes also.  Then, when I
left my insulin at home one day it was an amazing experience for me to be
able to ask my coworker if I could borrow some of her Regular to take my
lunchtime dose!  I don't think I had ever met another T1 outside of a
doctor's office, clinic, or support group until that time.

Also, I showed her where I kept my glucose stash in case she should need
it, and explained why chocolate was not a good treatment for low blood
sugars. She was really happy that I did this for her.

It was really an amazing experience for me because it was my first feeling
of having a community of diabetics outside of a clinical environment.  In
fact, I don't remember having met another person with T1 diabetes outside
of a clinical environment until that point (except my little sister--and
you all know she can't count ;->).