[IP] RE: 14 year old athletic pumper

>I am Mom to a very athletic 8th grader who has been pumping
>since August of this year.  Can anyone help with  our up and down
>BG"s after practice and games.  He is playing basketball now and
>will also play tennis in the spring.  We are experimenting with
>playing and practicing (about 2 hours) every day with the pump on
>and have also tried the bolus and take it off method.  Neither way
>works all the time..   He seems to have some unexplained highs
>after hard exercise as well.  Overall the pump has really improved
>his life but we are struggling with the exercise factor and being an
>athlete is key to his identity.  Thanks so much....Kyle's mom

Depending on the exercise I will either reduce my basal rate or disconnect
(suspend the pump) 30 to 45 minutes before beginning the exercise.  As far
as preventing the quick rise in bG afterward, I need to resume my usual
basal rate (or reduced rate if the exercise was for a long period of time)
30 to 45 minutes before the end of exercising.  Otherwise, at the completion
of exercising, there is very little circulating insulin to maintain bG
goals.  Insulin that is resumed afterward needs time to get into

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998