Re: [IP] Type 1 with insulin-sensitizers

Natalie A. Sera wrote:

>>So who said Glucophage was the only option available??????

Today there are 3 insulin-sensitizers on the market, Avandia, Actos, &
Glucophage.  On Avandia & Actos people can gain weight according to the
company, the only one that helps lose  weight is Glucophage.

Also who says that the others aren't doing the same to the liver?

>>And do you really have Type 2 genetic insulin resistance?

I think that a father & 2 of his siblings, & 3 of his uncles with type 2
diabetes, (the rest of them are just overweight) is a strong family history.

>>The questions I have are: do you have wide swings of BGs? People who are
>>insulin-resistant TEND not to have too many hypos, because they are not
>>very sensitive to small variations in insulin supply.

I don't think you are right with this one!  I do you have wide swings of
BGs, I am not very sensitive to "small variations in insulin", but I am
sensitive to the "big variations of insulin" that I am using.

>>Do you need a LOT of insulin every day? That can be a clue to insulin

I am currently taking about 55 units on a normal day.  On Shabbos it could
creep up to 80-90 units with the bigger meals.

>>but it would still need to be determined whether insulin
>>resistance were due to immune-system factors, or to Type 2 genetic

This is something new to me, can you explain me the difference?

>>But anyway, even if one chose not to use Glucophage, there is also
>>Rosiglitazone, and other insulin sensitizers coming down the pipeline.

What's the name of that med?

>>But on the other hand, why obsess about weight gain??? You can increase
>>insulin sensitivity the old-fashioned way, by eating a LOT less and
>>exercising a LOT more!

Thank you so much! Why didn't I think of that?  Easier said than done!

Rabbi Hirsch Meisels
Co-Executive Director
Jewish Diabetes Association