RE: [IP] Student will scale peak to send diabetes message, do research

Yes, the climber from spain is Ernest Blade.  Jeremy Ackerman (the
member spoken of in the press release) is a member of insulin-pumpers as
well as a good friend of mine here at UNC.  We are in the same graduate
department here.

IDEA2000 is offering t-shirts as a fundraiser for $15 for short sleeve,
$20 for long.  The front of the shirt proclaims "El paciente no es apto
para la practica del alpinismo," or "the patient is not fit to practice
mountaineering."  This was the indelible message IDEA 2000 climbing
leader Ernest Blade received soon after his diagnosis with diabetes.  He
was already, and remains, a world-class
mountaineer, athlete, and picture of good health.  The phrase has become
an ironic inspiration to all those involved with IDEA 2000.  This
"inspiration" appears on the front of our shirts, and the back features
the IDEA 2000 logo (in color) and the address of the IDEA 2000 website
(http://www.idea2000.org).

Please send an email to buy a shirt (email @ redacted), and help
support Jeremy and I and every other diabetic who is or wants
to be a true athlete.

Susan Fisher

-------------------------
Student will scale peak to send
diabetes message, do research

CHAPEL HILL -- On Jeremy Ackerman's 15th
birthday, he learned that he had diabetes. His parents were dismayed,
but
young Ackerman set out to learn more about the disease and to learn how
manage it so he could still do the things he wanted to do.He strongly
believes that people with diabetes -- especially younger ones -- need to
know
that the disease, while serious, doesn't have to limit them and that
they
"can do almost anything they want." To make that point, he and 15 other
Type
1 diabetic athletes from around the world will travel to Argentina Dec.
climb Cerro Aconcagua, which, with a summit of 22,830 feet, is the
highest
point in the Western Hemisphere.Eleven years after the diagnosis, the
Maryland native is a University of North Carolina M.D.-Ph.D. candidate
with
aspirations to surgery and a graduate degree in biomedical engineering.
But
he still finds time for the outdoor activities he loves. He's an
experienced
backpacker and trekker and has even dabbled in rock climbing -- all this
while successfully managing his glucose levels.Ackerman, who admits that
he
was something of a terror to doctors in the early years of his disease,
is
now better able to understand doctor and family concerns about diabetes
management. A founding member of the group, IDEA2000 -- or the
International
Diabetic Expedition to Aconcagua - the medical student says the goal of
the
ambitious project, which has been in the planning stages for more than
two
years, is three-fold."We want to raise awareness of diabetes and to
inspire
diabetics to achieve their goals," he says. "We want to raise $2.1
million to
support diabetes care in underserved parts of Latin America, and, while
we're
doing all this, conduct scientific research on altitude's effects on
diabetics and diabetes management."The experience should also be a lot
of
fun, he says. Group members traveling to Argentina represent a variety
of
mountaineering skill levels, according to Ackerman."A few are like me
with a
limited amount of experience. Others are very experienced mountaineers,
like
the director of the group and another climber from Spain," he says.
"That's
why there will be two teams heading up the mountain -- the 'summiting'
group
doing a challenging technical climb and the less experienced 'trekking'
group
following a non-technical route supporting the other climbers and the
research effort.What members have in common is their understanding of
their
disease, Ackerman says. "Most of us are aware that you can do just about
anything when you have diabetes. The hard part is knowing what issues to
address and plan for. For example, insulin can freeze, which not only
makes
it impossible to inject but also renders it less effective. Insulin also
stops working if it gets too warm."When the small electronic blood
glucose
meter used to measure sugar levels is taken to higher altitudes, the
chemistry of the device changes. LCD displays and batteries present in
watches, blood glucose meters and insulin pumps also are sensitive to
the
cold -- potentially affecting insulin delivery and diabetes management.
Climbers worry about their insulin pumps failing much more than their
watches. "When you get into the mountains, there's a whole range of
effects
on your physiology," Ackerman says. "There are all these factors, some
not
completely understood, that interact with diabetes. We have to decide
how to
control variables like how much insulin to take, how much food to eat
and how
much activity we can do. Some things we do from experience, and
sometimes, we
have to guess what will happen."As the project evolved, IDEA2000 came up
with
programs for tax-deductible donations, including sales of special
T-shirts
(delivered personally by Ackerman to save shipping costs to buyers). In
addition, donors of $10 or more will be sent a postcard from the team in
Argentina. Those who donate $100 or more will receive a prayer flag,
which is
like the small, lightweight flags mountaineers carry. "The idea is that
we're
carrying your hopes and dreams with us," he adds.
###
For more information, call Ackerman at (919) 967-2146 or e-mail him at
email @ redacted

The project's Web address is www.idea2000.org