Re: [IP] 14 year old athletic pumper

In a message dated 11/18/2000 8:21:59 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< We are experimenting with
 playing and practicing (about 2 hours) every day with the pump on
 and have also tried the bolus and take it off method.  Neither way
 works all the time..   He seems to have some unexplained highs
 after hard exercise as well.  >>

Do you have any access to the CMGS (or is it CGMS)?, the monitor by Minimed
that you wear for three days.  It measures bg continuously and prints up
charts by downloading the info after the device is taken off.  It would help
to see what his bgs are doing during exercise, if he's going low and
rebounding, or the liver is dumping after the heavy exercise.  It might help
show if there is a consistant pattern or not.  I was able to use one thru my
nephrologist, I know some endos have them.  Or try calling your Minimed rep
to see which Drs in your area have them.

Short of that, try testing like every 30 minutes before, during, and after
exercise to try to see the pattern, if there is one.

Best of luck,