[IP] Milwaukee Area Support Group

Is there anyone on this list who lives in the SouthEastern Wisconsin area? Or, anyone who may be able to offer advice on setting up a support group?

If so, please continue...

A few months ago I wrote to the Milwaukee office of the American Diabetes Association requesting information about diabetes support groups. I was forwarded a list, but none of the groups seemed appropriate for me - they were either defunct or primarily consisted of all type 2's. In some cases I was even discouraged from attending meetings because I would be the only type 1, or the only person under a particular age.

As a result, I have teamed with another 20-something type 1 diabetic to start a support group. Although we won't discourage anyone from attending, our target demographic is young adults with type 1 diabetes. We have support from the Diabetes Treatment Center at Columbia Hospital. We plan to conduct monthly meetings in their classroom.

We have also started an email distribution list. The website for the group can be found at: http://www.egroups.com/group/Type1Diabetics-Milwaukee - individuals can join from this URL, or by sending an email to: email @ redacted - I will also respond to any questions sent to email @ redacted .

We would really appreciate any support anyone can offer to help launch this group. Please feel free to pass along the information that I provided above to anyone who may be interested in joining or supporting this group.

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan Meersman