Re: [IP] Extreme Highs from Cortizone? (trigger thumb)

Sammi,

I've had numerous cortizone injections for trigger
finger (five out of the ten so far), and only once did
my BG get out of wack. Each and every time the
orthopod reminded me it could happen, but only the
second to the last time did it really occur. But I've
also had surgery--trigger finger release--on a finger
in each hand. Are you goint to be awake while this
happens? I was and in worked beautifully and slick,
and I wore my pump throughout the whole thing both
times. But beware of the pre-op nurses who want to
hook you up to glucose drip if your surgeon and endo
have determined you'll do fine without it. In my
opinion, I healed much more quickly with 120 post-op
than the potential 300+ I could have ended up with.
The tough part is a scheduled surgery than gets
delayed--and you're fasting! The pre-op nurse wanted
to do a BG on me, which she did and came up with an
87. I was so ticked at her that I said, "Perhaps we
could do this again and THIS time get enough blood on
the test strip." She reluctantly did, and the next go
around it was 187, just right for going into surgery.
Man, she was jumping at the bit to hook me up to the
glucose drip, which if she'd gotten her way, would
have put me way over the top.

Hope the surgery goes well--get everything written on
your chart and ask questions, ask questions, ask
questions!

Shawn

> HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> send a DONATION