[IP] Re:French Fries

> Jim S. wrote:
>  > > Can anyone explain me why boiled potatoes has a carb factor of 15%,
> and > French fries is 34%? > Isn't it just potatoes (& oil)? > >
> Hirsch Meisels wrote:
>  >>I'm guessing it's because french fries are "cooked more" ...

Hirsch Meisels is correct (the cooking is the difference) but the difference
is not the degree of cooking. This effects the rate of digestion (glycemic

The more important factor is that more water is removed from the potato when
frying it  rather than boiling it. The USDA site
(http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl) indicates that 100 g of
boiled potato contains 77.46 g water (i.e. 22.5 g starch) while 100 g of
fried potato contains only 49.94 g water (50.1 g starch). Big difference in
the amount of starch in one cooked serving and therefore a big difference in
carbohydrate factors.