Re: [IP] Carry around insulin pen/

Judy wrote:
>>I just received a Mini Med, but won't be hooked to it fo 2 more weeks.
I'm trying to understand everything.  Do all of you actually carry an
insulin pen at all times in case of an emegency?  Also, do you carry
extra sets and tubing all the time?<<

Yes, Yes, Yes!! I always keep extra infusion sets, reservoirs, syringes,
insulin, batteries, tapes, glucose tabs etc. When you go "live" with the pump,
you have to remember that it is a mechanical device and WILL have problems
from time to time. Some are extreme, some relatively minor. However when you
are using only short-acting insulin, it doesn't take long for high bg's and
DKA to set in. I don't mean to alarm you, but if you're not prepared for the
inevitable you can get yourself into a lot of trouble.

Todd Merkle
dx'd 81, pumper 9/98