[IP] Is pregnancy an option?

My husband and I decided not to have children becouse of the risk to my
health and the baby.  I just can't be content with that decision until I
know more.  I was wondering if anyone had an experience with this situation.
  I have had a heart condition since birth, which was corrected with surgery
in 1984.  My doctors told me this would not prevent me from having children.
  I was then diagnosed with diabetes in 1988.  They said it would take more
effort, but I could still have children.  My concern now is that I have
protein in my 24 hr urine collection for the past 10 years and am taking
capoten to slow it.  I still have not been told that I cant have children,
but I have read so many scary things about kidney damage and pregnancy.  I
am just wondering if anyone in a similar situation has had a succesful
pregnancy and how it affected thier health?  I am only 22 and not even ready
to be a mother. I just want more information on my options.  Also if it is
unsafe to become pregnant what are safe forms of birth control for a
diabetic woman?
Please email me directly if you would like.
Sorry so long but I need to talk!