Re: [IP] Gaining weight

Jackie, what your endo said about gaining weight when your bgs come under control
is correct. The reason (as explained to me) was that your body becomes more
efficient at using every single calorie you eat. When one is out of control,
quite a bit of those calories would spill over into the urine and be flushed out
of your system. This is where the kidney damage can come in..

The DCCT study also indicated this. If I recall correctly the average weight gain
in the study group was 10 pounds, after getting in good control. I think the
majority of people that get the pump would probably gain weight. Especially if
you like to eat.

I had a diabetic friend that would let her bgs get out of control to lose weight
(very dangerous), she kept ending up in the hospital when she did this. She
finally decided to deal with weight loss by joining WW and was able to lose it
without getting sick.

Good luck, Patti