No Subject

> Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:08:16 -0800
> From: "wombn" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] A Medscape article on healing at puncture sites
> On 14 Nov 2000, at 20:19, Denise Guerin wrote:
> > This article describes a study observing healing of skin at different
> > puncture sites,
> >
> > > Read the article at the following web address:
> >
> > .conn-02.html>
> I read it.  Or tried to.  I don't understand 1/2 the words in it so I
> don't really understand what they were studying, nor what they
> concluded.  Could someone translate?

The article describes a study done comparing the healing rate of punctured
skin on different parts of the body.  As new devices come on the market many
diabetics look for body parts other than the finger to do glucose
monitoring.  For example I tried my forearm as directed by Lifescan which
claims it is possible to do so.  I bruised badly and could not get enough
blood anyways.  So back to finger sticks!

I was interested in discoveting that finger, forearm, abdomen, and thigh
sites were used for testing purposes, that the degree of bruising and of
redness (erythema) was used to evaluate healing, that the incidence of
bruising was greater for females than for males and that the fingertip
developed less redness than other body sites.   Redness on the forearm went
away at 73 to 85 percent of the sites on the forearm on the third day after
lancing.  TOO LONG FOR ME!!!

Because there were unexpected differences in the visual appearance of lancet
wounds on the finger versus on the other body sites the authors of the
article suggest  that skin healing studies should be conducted for other
methods of puncturing the skin under consideration .

Sigh... why don't they just look for a cure to diabetes instead. :-)

Hope this helps!
Denise Guerin
Type 1 46 years
MM507 2 1/2 year.