Re: [IP] Interesting day

Mike wrote:
<<I checked my bg when I arrived and it was 487 on my accu check complete.
I  gave myself 6 units of bolus to get it down.  <snip>  [then] everyrhing
started to spin and the next thing I knew I was being helped off the floor
by the nurses. <snip> I was wheeled to the er. on the way to the er I
checken my bg on my meter and it was 119, which is a good range. snip They
told me their test on bg came to 55.
Has anything like this ever happenend to any of you? >>

How coincidental that you would ask on today of all days.  I had a very
similar thing happen, though not nearly as dramatic.  I checked my bg
before lunch, was 68, had a few ounces of juice, ate lunch and bolused a
little conservatively since I wanted to make sure I was up to at least 100
3 hours after.  After lunch I went downtown to meet a friend, ended up
doing a little shopping and a little walking but nothing to write home
about.  By this time it was 3:00 and I had an endo appt nearby at 3:30 so I
stopped for coffee to bide some time.  Checked my bg and to my great
surprise and consternation it was 245!  Bolused 2 units, which would
normally bring me down to 100 within about 3 hours.  Went to the endo's
office.  Felt kind of tired while there, but with good reason (not much
sleep lately), so I didn't think too much about it.  After the appt walked
about 6 blocks from the office to the BART station, at which point I
started to feel seriously low.  Once on the train I checked my bg and it
was 39!  This is at 3:45, mind you.  Only 45 minutes after administering
the high-correction bolus.  Normally I don't see any change in bg for at
least an hour after a bolus.

My considered opinion is that I was not actually high at 3:00, but there
was some error in the test result.  I wish I had re-tested, but didn't
think to do it at the time.

My endo has recently had me switch from the Profile QID, which I really
like (sorry, Sara) to the AccuCheck Advantage, which I at this point barely
tolerate for various reasons.  I only hope that I made some error in
judgement and the meter didn't give me an erroneous result.

And Jim S., it is OK to bring up feelings about diabetes in this forum.  As
for me, I am feeling completely disempowered at this point because while I
supposedly have the technology available to help me "control" the
disease--and I don't use those quote marks lightly--the technology often
doesn't work.  The infusion sites go bad, the pump fails, the bg meter
gives bad results.  That's a lot of wrenches to throw in the works.  Yet I
(and everyone else involved in my life or care ) still expect ME to do my
best to keep my blood sugars within my target range.  The problem is the
feedback loop relies on unreliable mechanisms.  It's a lot better than
testing urine, but a lot worse than ideal.

It's the same problem we had in the days of urine testing, really.  How do
we deal with the expectation of perfect results when the technology is not
sophisticated enough to enable us to attain them?  I guess the difference
is the expectation is much higher now, and it's a lot harder to fudge the
results ;->.

How do you all handle the problem?