Re: [IP] honeymoon period?

On 11 Nov 2000, at 17:27, Notha Stevens wrote:

> I would like to hear some input about the "honeymoon period" I keep hearing
> about. What exactly to expect, or even if there is one. Thanks

For type 1's the islet cells get destroyed gradually, not all at once.

Usually by the time symptoms show up, ~80% of the cells have
been lost. It's kind of amazing that those >20% can ramp up
production enough to keep bgs almost under control.

So even though you go on insulin, your pancreas is still producing
some insulin, so you only need fairly tiny little amounts.  Like me.
(.2/hr during waking hours, .1/hr while asleep, 1u/23 gm and 1/2u
to drop 40 gm/dl).

I've read in several places (don't ask me where cuz I'm really bad at
remembering citations) and heard (from my endo) that children
*tend* to have MUCH faster destruction, although Shelly's little one
seems to defy that.

My endo says I'm still in the honeymoon (still producing some
insulin) and that is borne out by the fact that if I eat lightly, my bgs
will *eventually* go lower, even if I don't shoot any insulin.  She
expects my honeymoon to last at least another year, since I'm
apparently a fairly slow onset and because I tend towards lower-
carb (less need for insulin and therefore a quieter pancreas that
draws less attention from the autoimmune response).

She thinks the process started about 5 years ago, based on my
history of events and symptoms (that I didn't know were related to
diabetes).  So I guess I'm a REALLY slow onset.

On MDI, I was injecting 10-15 u a day.  On the pump, 8-12 units.
But my body size would indicate a total need of about 30 units.

So since I'm honeymooning and have really slow onset, apparently,
it may take longer than a year since I'm injecting now and lower-

The benefit to honeymooning is that I can learn about this pumping
stuff with some built-in safety (less risk of overnight DKA if the
pump quits on me during the night).

The drawback is never quite knowing from one day to the next
exactly how much insulin I need, so I'm chasing a moving target.

But I still think the built-in safety is better, so i'm glad to stay in
this honeymoon as long as i can drag it out.