Re: [IP] Overdelivery

In a message dated 11/11/00 3:08:41 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< After almost 3 hours, 6 finger pokes, 75 carbs with no bolus and 2 hours
at a temp. basal of 0, Brian is finally over 100.  What is going on?!  I
was logging on to try and gain some understanding of what might have
happened - and skimmed a reference to MM508 overbolusing.....YIKES!>>

Laurie, I hope things are going better now, whatever has happened.  Have you
called MiniMed?   I really think you should, whenever there is any
possibility of pump malfunction.  For their sake, so they can know of any
problems with the pump, and also for your sake -- they may have a suggestion
you might not have thought of.  And if there is a problem with the pump, you
want to get a new one as soon as possible!  And also for the sake of all
other pumpers, if there is a problem with the pump!

I have been checking the FDA site
(http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfMAUDE/search.cfm) for
reports of possible overboluses on MMs, and have not found any since the
summer of 1998.  None of those were actually proven, though perhaps not
necessarily disproven either.  (There are reports of cracked Disetronics in
water overbolusing -- watch for those cracks, all you D wearers!)  I don't
know what that means about the recent reports of MMs overbolusing on this
list -- have they been reported?  If so, could it be they are still being
investigated?  Or is it possible that further investigation has found other
more probable causes, and this is less interesting so doesn't get passed

I for one would really like to know if there is a possibility of my pump
overbolusing -- if one (me or MM) could figure out when it happens, one could
be searching for ways to prevent it.

Linda Z