[IP] Protein

In "Pumping Insulin," third edition, page 64, the authors state "Some 50
percent of protein calories are slowly converted to glucose over a period of
several hours..." A person I consider very knowledgeable about such matters
has advised that the above statement has recently been proven to be incorrect
and, consequently, I should not be concerned with the amount of protein in a
meal. Instead, this person advises that I should be concerned with the fat
in a meal. I have several questions and would greatly appreciate any insight
from fellow pumpers.
1. Is the above statement from "insulin pumpers" correct or incorrect? If
the above statement is accurate, are the authors referring to pure "protein"
calories (i.e., 50% x grams of protein x calories per gram) or are they
referring to total calories (e.g., total calories in a 10 ounce steak x 50%)?
2. If fat is the culprit, is there a way (excluding trial and error) to
estimate the amount of insulin necessary to offset the insulin resistance
created by the fat or the delayed bolus (square wave) necessitated by the
slowed absorption of the food?
1. Under normal conditions such as adequate insulin and carbohydrates No
proteins are converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis) and if they are, this
is an energy loosing process.
2. no, total calories in a 10 oz steak if pure protein would be 10 oz x 28
gm= 280 gm of protein @ 4 calories /gm conversion for protein to calories =
1120 calories Plus any fat calories from marbling of the steak with fat for
taste less any fibrous tissue not digested but eaten. less any burnt steak
for destruction of caloric content by reduction of protein actually
assimilated.  I guess the slowing depends on the degree you have of
diabetic enteropathy, gastroparesis, less reduction in any pancreatic
digestive enzymes secondary to acinar cell failure common in diabetes.
decreased intestinal motility secondary to enteropathy. no , As some one
who has some of this enteropathy I can never figure out my digestion time.
I also never correct for proteins in my bolus amounts for food. I look
later after I eat and if sugars are still high at 2 hours I give a
correction bolus. you must keep in mind that fat and protein are not free
but add to your total caloric burden for the day. You should stick to your
preplanned caloric intake or you will get bigger and bigger in girth. Spot
A Bender, M. D.