[IP] RE: going low and rebounding how quickly?

Joyce in ND asked:
> How quickly does a person drop and rebound? My 11-year-old came home at 8
> p.m. after class at 77. He drank a juice, went to bed at 10 p.m. at 125. I
> checked him before I went to bed at 11 p.m., 158. I didn't
> correct anything, but checked him at 2:30 a.m., and he was 348. I suppose
> I need to bump his basal rate even more (now up to 1.3 during the midnight
> but part of me is always hesitant because I wonder, "What if he is low and
> rebounding?"

There's a lot of unknowns in this scenario.  What was his activity like
before getting home?  Could he have been dropping at that time?  Could he
have been already rebounding at that time?  His bG was rising steadily until
2:30 a.m.  The juice would account for some of it but how much did he drink?
Blood sugars are never static.  They are always on the move.  The 77 when he
arrived home doesn't reveal if it was going up or down.  A good rule of
thumb is to lower basal rates when there is one episode of *unexplained* low
blood sugar but consider raising the appropriate basals when there are two
or more consecutive *unexplained* high blood sugars.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998